Saturday 21 April 2018

Record Store Day

I've never taken part in Record Store Day before today, it generally doesn't hold any interest for me. I visit record stores regularly regardless of which day it is, and I generally find the releases to be overpriced and full of gimmicks. I've learnt that the record stores themselves do earn a lot of money from this day which helps them to stay afloat, many couldn't survive without it and I respect it for that aspect. But I think a lot of the meaning behind the day is lost when it's a race against eBay resellers to see who can get to the record store first, it's not a record store day when you have to arrive before it opens and most of the good stuff is gone an hour after opening, you know? Plus I don't hold a very high opinion of repressings, it's digital music pressed onto an analogue format, just get an original which is often cheaper and will sound so much better.

Saying that, Pink Floyd got me to participate this year! As soon as I heard they were releasing a special limited edition set of Piper At The Gates of Dawn, I knew I wanted it. Although I own an original mono pressing of this album, I don't play it very often at all as I worry about wear and also I'm a bit of a klutz and am scared of dropping the needle on it or something. I know, I know, what's the point in owning it if you're not going to listen to it, right? But it means so much to me and I saved so hard for it that I'd be so upset if anything happened.



So I'm pleased to own a mono copy I can play as regularly as I like now, and the collector in me needed it anyway for it's special sleeve! I've just listened to it, and it sounds sublime, as good as the original for sure. Definitely a good alternative if you can't afford the crazy prices the first pressing sells for!

I knew I'd have to partake in the full RSD experience if I wanted this album, and it took some work. I got up to queue at 5.30am and I had to drive several towns over to get to a record store that was taking part in the day. It was worth it though, and despite everything I can see why people get addicted and go every year. There's a great atmosphere, and although you're queuing for hours it goes by much quicker than that. And it's a wonderful feeling to finally get your hands on what you wanted so much! I also got the three records Tom Waits released for the Orphans set, something I probably wouldn't of bought had I not been there in person to buy them and I'm so glad I have them! I've wanted the Orphans boxset since it was released but it usually goes for upwards of £500 which is completely out of reach to me. I know it's not Pink Floyd related, but it just highlights that I'd of missed out had I not attended!

I also filmed a vlog of the experience, I'm going to be editing it tonight so I'll be sure to link to it when it's uploaded!

No comments:

Post a Comment