Sunday 8 April 2018

Record Collection



Vinyl has always been one of my favourite things to collect. It's not anything that I grew up around as by the time I came along in the '90s my parents had long since traded in all of their records for CDs. I became fascinated by vinyl when I was a teenager and first began listening to old music. Initially I liked it just as merchandise, but then I got a record player and realised how much warmer it sounded to the digital music I was used to and I was instantly hooked, and began collecting it seriously and learning about different pressings and editions and such.

A big draw to vinyl for me is this is how the bands I listen to intended their music to be listened to. It's another reason I don't like modern remastered vinyl: Pink Floyd themselves mixed and recorded these albums for vinyl. Everything else is taken from those original tapes, so I want to hear it how Pink Floyd intended it to be heard and listened to. I also enjoy how tactile the format is, you can't put a record on and forget it in the background like you would playing iTunes - you have to flip the disc after every few tracks so you're always listening to it. I also enjoy simply having a physical music collection and seeing it grow and interacting with it by looking at the sleeves, cleaning it, etc. In todays digital world where so much is streamed, physically owning the things that mean the most to you makes it that much more special.



Because of this, my Pink Floyd vinyl collection is one of the things that means the most to me. It's taken me years to build it to this point as I'm picky and prefer to save up for good quality original pressings as I play them a lot so want them to sound their best. I have a YouTube channel (I kind of always torn between making it an art channel or a music channel so I include both) and one of my most requested videos is sharing my Pink Floyd vinyl collection. I have a couple of gaps, but I enjoying hunting for stuff in record shops as much as I enjoy owning it so I'm in no hurry and I don't think collections are ever truly finished as there's so many unofficial and foreign variations out there. I had a lot of fun putting this video together, so I hope that you enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment